Coronavirus (Covid-19) Advice and Support

Last Updated: 29 September 2020


(For the latest national coronavirus advice please visit

 Back to top

What to do if you think you have coronavirus

Do NOT leave your home if you think you have coronavirus

You do not need to contact your GP if you think you have coronavirus. 

  • Call 119 to book a test. You can also use the online 111 coronavirus service to get advice and find out what to do. Only call 111 if you cannot get help online, or cannot handle your symptoms at home. This approach will free up help for those who most need it.

Babies and children

  • Call 111 for advice if you're worried about a baby or child. If they seem very unwell, are getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call 999. Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.

  Back to top

Changes to seeing your GP

GP practices are taking actions to protect patients, staff and the wider community via a telephone triage system for GP appointments. For more information about speaking to your GP, click here.

  Back to top

Opening hours of Minor Injuries Units and First Aid Units

For the current information on opening hours at MIUs and FAUs in Oxfordshire see below:

  • Minor Injury Units at community hospitals in AbingdonWitney and Townlands in Henley: These are are open seven days a week by appointment only. Please call 111 or contact an MIU directly (see here for opening times).

  • Bicester Community Hospital: Normal opening hours by appointment only. Please contact the unit before attending (see here for opening times).

  • Chipping Norton Health Centre: Integrated Primary Care Service – operating from 5pm-9pm Monday-Friday and 10am-9pm weekends and bank holidays. The service will remain based at the health centre and run by South Central Ambulance Service Specialist Practitioners.

  • Wallingford Community Hospital First Aid Unit: This unit is temporarily closed during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Getting help: If you need medical help please contact NHS111 first, via phone or the NHS111 website. They will triage your case and direct you to the most appropriate unit. People with injuries who have not called in advance will be seen and treated as necessary.  However, if the condition or injury is not urgent, staff will ask patients attend the following day with an appointment.

Please also note that to comply with social distancing, people are asked to attend units on their own if possible, or with one other person only if they require help or support.

  Back to top

Volunteering in Oxfordshire – you can do your bit

 For more information visit the Oxfordshire County Council website which is packed full of information on how to volunteer and who with - see here

 Back to top

Useful websites

National Advice

Local Advice


  Back to top