Help Us Help you - find the right service to keep you well over Easter
Date: 12 April 2019
There is a range of local health services to treat and support people over Easter (Friday 19 to Monday 22 April) and the early May Bank Holiday (Monday 6 May).
As people will be out and about over the holidays walking, exercising or enjoying picnics they might need the support of a local minor injuries unit:
- Minor injuries units (MIUs) can treat deep cuts, small burns, sprains, sports injuries, infected wounds and foreign bodies in eyes. There are three MIUs in Oxfordshire (Henley-on-Thames, Witney and Abingdon). You don’t need an appointment.
- Visit your local pharmacist for advice on coughs, headaches, upset stomachs and indigestion. Your pharmacist can help stop coughs and colds from getting worse. For a list of local pharmacies which are open over the Easter and May bank holidays visit:
- Remember to collect your repeat prescriptions from your pharmacist in time for the holidays
- If your GP practice is closed you can contact the NHS 111 helpline which has call handlers who will help you choose the right health service for your needs.
- You can book a routine GP appointment at a weekend or in the evenings by contacting your own surgery’s reception who will book you a time to see a doctor at a local GP access hub.
- Self-care is the best choice for minor illnesses and injuries. A range of common ailments can be treated at home from a well-stocked medicine cabinet.
- Download Oxfordshire CCG’s ‘Health and Care Oxfordshire’ app to your smart phone to find health services near you http://bit.ly/iphoneappchoosewell or http://bit.ly/androidappchoosewell
- In a life-threatening emergency, such as loss of consciousness, suspected heart attack or stroke, severe breathing difficulties or severe bleeding that cannot be stopped call 999 immediately.
Please visit Oxfordshire CCG web pages for more information on local health services or see here: https://www.oxfordshireccg.nhs.uk/your-health/choose-the-right-service/choose-the-right-service.htm
Minor injuries units and pharmacies can keep you well over the holidays
- Date:12 April 2019