Patient Forum Involved in Local Health Projects
The locality’s Public and Patient Health Forum is going from strength to strength, since its launch in May 2013. It brings together patients, carers and the public who help OCCG commission high quality health services. People who take part in the forum have been nominated by Patient Participation Groups from most of the locality’s ten GP practices.
The success of National Patient Participation Week in June (which encouraged patient groups to be set up at GP practices to provide feedback about ways to improve services) was a help for the forum. Since that event, the forum has been getting Patient Participation Groups up and running at the remaining two GP practices in the locality without them. This will allow the forum to have a full complement of patient representatives in the future.
So far, the forum has contributed to local health projects including:
- Improving flu vaccination uptake for vulnerable people aged under 65
- Preventative work for people with long term conditions
- Provision of health and social care at or close to home for frail older people
- Identifying and supporting carers
- Using anticipatory care plans to support patients in care homes and towards end of life care
- Providing feedback and comment to GPs about ways to help improve primary care
Contacts are being made with third sector agencies and other potential partner organisations who play a part in the future of the NHS.
The North East Locality Patient Participation Groups have developed a leaflet, this can be used by other PPGs and is available for download here: PPG only Leaflet
For further information, please contact Julie-anne Howe, North East Locality Co-ordinator email: firstname.lastname@example.org