If you are worried about an adult please report it immediately on 01865 328232. Further information can be found on the Oxfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website. Primary Care Professionals should refer to the Adult Safeguarding Contacts.
Further information and frequently asked questions are detailed below:
What Safeguarding Training can I Access?
Both Safeguarding Boards offer face to face and online training which will contribute towards your level 3 safeguarding training requirements. OCCG also run regular safeguarding workshops which are open to all practice staff and are advertised via the practice safeguarding leads and practice managers.
Details of the adult safeguarding training can be found on the Oxfordshire Adult Safeguarding Board website.
What Primary Care Clinicians Should do.
If you are worried about a child at risk of FGM follow the procedure. If you are aware that FGM has occurred in a young person under the age of 18 (either through first hand disclosure or examination - you do NOT need to examine to confirm) then you have a mandatory reporting duty to report this directly to the Police by ringing 101. This is not a transferable duty.
Follow the procedure for all women, where you are aware that FGM has occurred, you should discuss the FGM enhanced dataset requirements with them. There is RCGP guidance on mandatory recording under the FGM enhanced dataset and national guidance on how to report as well as supporting information.
Record FGM in the clinical record of the woman and her family members using the codes below:
- At risk of FGM 13VY
- FGM K578
- Family history of FGM 12b
Other Professional Resources
- Children's Social Care Team based in the JR on 01865 221236
- Children's Social Care Local and Community Support Service
- The Oxford Rose Clinic sees anyone affected by FGM and provides medical, psychosexual and psychological support. Women can self-refer or be referred by professionals
- The OSCB FGM screening tool
- FGM at a Glance. Background information on FGM
Advice and Resources for Patients and Families
- NHS Choices information on FGM in English and several other languages
- The statement opposing FGM (FGM passport)
- Oxford Against Cutting a local support organisation
- Afruca and Forward UK are national organisation
Safeguarding codes are available from the RCGP website.
If you are worried about radicalisation or would like information about training on prevent for you or your staff visit http://www.oscb.org.uk/themes-tools/prevent-extremism/
If you are worried about domestic abuse / violence visit the Oxfordshire Adult Safeguarding Board website.
Further useful information can be found at the Reducing the Risk website.